Monday, December 13, 2010

A Designer's Hideaway

A statement that is made quite often by the designers and clients that meet me is, “Your home must really be decked out and large, based on the size of the furniture that you design.” A smile always spreads across my face as I get to explain to them that I live in the same condo that I purchased ten years ago for $110,000. At that time I worked in a gift store at a mall. You can well imagine my choices in real estate were somewhat limited. However, this small condo served as my blank canvass on which I was able to express myself. It reflects soul, personality and attitude. What started out as a pretty plane Jane three bedroom, two and a half bath condo was transformed into a cozy retreat that feels as though one has stepped back into time. It’s a marvelous mix of 16th century Gothic and English Castle, with a touch of the theater. A gorgeous place that I get to go to everyday that feels completely cut off from the outside world. Being both the designer and the client was a sobering experience. When you’re designing for clients you’re creating something so they’ll be comfortable. When you’re designing for yourself, you’re isolated. You’re really answering to yourself. You start with a blank canvass, and you could have a hundred ideas. Then you have to commit. You’re also paying the bills, so you’re very aware of what things are costing. This intimate condo showed me where I was as a designer, where I’ve come from and how I’m building my carrier and business. Now before you take a peek, keep in mind that it was built in the 1970’s and there have been no changes. So let’s begin.

Before and After Bedroom
Before and After Hallway
Before and After Kitchen
Before and After Half Bath
Before and After Stair Case
Before and After Entry Way

 






No comments:

Post a Comment